Bride-to-be CC receives a surprise visit from Roberta, who claims to be a friend of CC’s mother and grandmother. CC reveals some dark family secrets to Roberta: that CC’s father deserted her and her mother (Joanne) to live the life of a homosexual, that Joanne was suicidal and alcoholic after the desertion, that CC has dropped out of college and is getting married because she’s pregnant. As CC verbally castigates her father, she seems to become more and more hostile toward Roberta, until Roberta finally leaves, sad and humiliated.
- Gender Neutral: 1
- Female: 1
- Total roles: 2
- A bride-to-be, pretty, talkative, in her 20’s. Bitter about her father.
- CC’s transgendered father, posing as a family friend. She is dignified and lovely, but awkward around CC.
Setting & Set Requirements
A living room, with a wedding dress and sewing materials.
- 2006 – Winner Irene Bashore Award, First Stage, CA
- 2013 – Tribuene Theater, Madrid, Spain
- 2013 – Ticket 2 Eternity Productions, NY
- 2010 – International Festival of Contemporary Theater, Madrid, Spain
- 2007 – LUNA Playhouse, CA
- 2006 – First Stage, CA
CC: Well how the hell else did you think I would feel? Huh, Roberta? My mom says, “He’s got his own path to follow”, like that excuses something. Can you believe it? What kind of a person doesn’t want to see his daughter grow up? You want to know what I heard from him after he left? Zero. Nada. Nothing. Am I supposed to be all happy for my dad that he found this wonderful new path for himself so he could forget all about me and pretend I never happened?