Ben’s neighbor and friend Shirley shows up one morning bearing fresh peach cobbler, a proposal, and news of a surprising visitation.
- Female: 1
- Male: 1
- Total roles: 2
- BEN’s neighbor and his late wife’s best friend. A lively woman in her mid-sixties, widowed ten years ago.
- A nice man in his late sixties, recently retired. A widower for three years.
Setting & Set Requirements
- 2023 – Staged reading, Congregation Bet Ha’am, ME
- 2023 – Kincaid School, TX
- 2023 – Eagan Theater, MN
- 2022 – Parish Players, VT
- 2019 – Short + Sweet Festival, Syndney, Australia
- 2017 – Nantucket Short Play Festival, MA
- 2017 – Lakeshore Players, MN
- 2016 – Theater Southwest, TX
Shirley: Rachel loved her romances. Put a muscly man on the cover and some bodice ripping, you can bet she’d read it.
Ben: What is a bodice? I’ve always wondered.
Shirley: The top part of a lady’s dress, waist to cleavage. A word you don’t hear so much these days. Too bad that. Doesn’t really have the same tingle to say, “With eager hands he tore off her pants suit blouse.”