A retiring executive secretary fights to protect her job and her boss from the very different professional – or unprofessional – style of her young replacement.
- Female: 2
- Male: 1
- Total roles: 3
- A retiring executive secretary, 64, conservative, reserved, dignified.
- Margaret’s replacement, 28, pretty, bright, confident.
- Mr. McChesney
- Margaret’s boss, 60, a big man, friendly, earthy.
Setting & Set Requirements
The records room of a large corporation.
- 2017 – Staged Reading, Clutch Productions, NY
- 2016 – Sala de Metodo, Madrid, Spain
- 2011 – Emerging Artists Theater Company, NY
- 2010 – Lebanon Community Theater, PA
- 2010 – Staged Reading, KNOCK Bit Part Festival, Seattle, WA
Margaret: I know what you see when you look at me. Old. Out of touch. Used up. Yes, I have put a great deal of my personal life aside, because it is a matter of pride to see that this office and this company and Mr. McChesney’s life run smoothly. I gave everything to this job, and I did it without college, without help, and without ever once feeling demeaned by my title. And I would rather work another ten years than turn my keys over to someone who believes that this office is just one more place to use a cell phone and who calls Mr. McChesney by his first name.